Monday, August 08, 2005

Core Image, Monitor Spanning, and the new iBook's Radeon 9550

Some of you asked about Core Image after we posted our previous article on the new iBooks released in July which sport the Radeon 9550. As we mentioned in our article updates, yes indeed it does fully support Core Image in hardware, and this is best demonstrated by the ability of the iBook to display the ripple effect in Dashboard:


(Click on picture for larger version.)

Update [2005-08-09]

The desktop spanning hack also works fine on the new iBooks. With Screen Spanning Doctor 0.3.3 I can extend my iBook's desktop onto an external 17" 1280x1024 LCD without any problems. I have not tried clamshell mode however, since I do not use this feature.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the people who asked this, so thanks a lot for testing! This is quite reassuring :)

By the way, I've read a lot about the iBook, and a lot of people advise not to use clamshell mode on the iBook, because the iBook will ge too hot if it's closed and on.