Friday, June 12, 2009

MacBook Pro's best new feature: Battery life

Apple has devoted a fair amount of screen real estate on its website bragging about the new battery technology in its new MacBook Pros. It turns out it's not just marketing speak to hide the fact the battery is no longer user replaceable.

According to AnandTech, the advertised 7 hour battery life (or 8 hours for the 17" model) is real. The 15" MacBook Pro is advertised to get 7 hours of battery life, yet with light usage Anand was able to get over "Eight, freakin, hours" out of the thing, and 6.5 hours with moderate usage. Even with relatively heavy usage he was able to get nearly 5 hours.

The MacBook Pro has just raised the bar enormously for battery life on full-fledged laptops.

It will be interesting to see if this battery life increase is limited to Mac OS X, or if it will be seen under Windows as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not getting more than 3 hours and 45 minute with my new macbook pro 13" even with the screen dimmed and light usage as web browsing. I did recycled twice the battery as suggested; I am not getting any improvement. i will bring it to the apple store to get it checked. If it's normal, it will be a real disappointment. I would have prefered to be able to get a spare battery.

Anonymous said...

I'm having the same problem! I don't understand it and I'm beginning to wonder if I got a lemon....

Unknown said...

Just got mine 3 days ago and I'm getting roughly same or less than 3 hours. It's very frustrating as I'm flying back home and won't be able to get this changed if it does turn out to be a lemon...