Sunday, August 01, 2004

Steve Jobs undergoes surgery to remove a pancreatic neuroendocrine tumour

Steve Jobs underwent surgery to have a pancreatic tumour removed this weekend. In an email to employees, he wrote:
Team,
I have some personal news that I need to share with you, and I wanted you to hear it directly from me. This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas. I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1% of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was). I will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments.

The far more common form of pancreatic cancer is called adenocarcinoma, which is currently not curable and usually carries a life expectancy of around one year after diagnosis. I mention this because when one hears "pancreatic cancer" (or Googles it), one immediately encounters this far more common and deadly form, which, thank god, is not what I had.

I will be recuperating during the month of August, and expect to return to work in September. While I'm out, I've asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, so we shouldn't miss a beat. I'm sure I'll be calling some of you way too much in August, and I look forward to seeing you in September.

Steve

PS: I'm sending this from my hospital bed using my 17-inch PowerBook and an Airport Express.
"Neuroendocrine tumor of the pancreas" is somewhat of a generic term and while some of these tumours can sometimes be quite aggressive, most fortunately are relatively low grade and slow growing. (A few of you might have heard the term "carcinoid" used for some of these latter low grade tumours.) Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumours are distinct from the more common ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreas, which has an extremely poor prognosis even after surgery.

He has not stated the exact details of his situation, but it does sound like his prognosis is good. The lesion was was felt to be removed completely (likely either by a Whipple procedure, or a distal pancreatectomy, depending on the location of the tumour), and he won't need chemotherapy or radiotherapy.

We wish him well.

PS: I love that post script. That Steve... Always the salesman. ;) Oh and I'm sending this from my couch using my 15-inch PowerBook and wireless 802.11b. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

First I hope Dr Jobes feeling well after his surgery.
I am prof BarNess from NJIT from NJ.
Have problems with repeated Panncreatitis. Have repeated ERCP in which a stent was inserted in the Pancreatic duck. The doctors decided that I have Chronic pancreatitis. However with an ultrasound study other group, diagnosis after a biobsy
was " consistent with pancreatic endocrine neoplasm (islet cell tumor). Because of conflicting diagnosis I am currently try to seeking opinion of surgons in the are.
Reading the case of Dr Jobs I believe I had the same problem he has in 2004.
Therefore I am seeking his help in directing me to finding my best solution: Where he was operated on ? who was his sugon?
my e-mail: yeheskel.barness@njit.edu. My web:ccspr.njit.edu. I know that Dr. Jobes is a very busy man, but if possible to talk with him on the phone will be much appreciated my cell phone 732 682 8004. My home phone is 732 972 9184.
With many thanks
yeheskel(Zeke) Bar-Ness

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful this was caught in time as my husband had the same thing and not so fortunate, so Mr. Jobs has been in special prayers from all the family as we needed a "success" story.

Texas

Anonymous said...

Ihave my surgery this aug. 9th 2010. I'v been waiting 3 months to have it and I'm blessed its not agressive. I pray all is well with you.

Barbarar said...

But, Steve Jobs lost weight recently. Not since the
last 4 years. Adhesions don't appear suddenly.